About Me

My photo
Lake Charles, Louisiana, United States
Hello, and welcome to my blog! I like to write about children's literature, fandom studies, video games, feminism, and pop culture in general. I've recently earned my Ph.D. in children's literature ( Fall 2012) at the University of Louisiana at Lafayette. I also teach English (composition, British literature, and women's literature) at Sowela Technical Community College. Oh, and I like cats! [Banner image artwork by Yuki Midorikawa]

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Tim Burton to direct Sleeping Beauty


So says the Guardian: LINK


Angelina Jolie is allegedly being courted to play Maleficent, which is, of course, the name of the "evil" fairy in the Disney version of the tale. That name never makes an appearance in Perrault's version, so does that mean Burton will be following in Disney's footsteps? I hope not. Disney's Sleeping Beauty is probably one of my least favorite Disney princess movies. Well, I'm not a fan of any of the three original princesses (big surprise), but there's just something about the film (and perhaps the character Aurora ... why did Disney feel they had to name the characters so particularly?) that never touched me on a personal level.


I find it strange the article translates the original French to "The Beauty Asleep in the Woods" as opposed to the more traditional "The Sleeping Beauty in the Woods."

Got the heads up from Fairy Tale Review, by the way, to give credit where credit is due.

No comments:

Post a Comment